Friday, December 16, 2005

The Canters and the Power of Yet

Don Dansereau teaches a class in the Mini-University offered to parents by TCU. He has summarized his main points for the Thinkerer:
http://thinkerer.org/Parenting/ParNewLight.htm

I elaborated on one of his points in an earlier blog. Here I take up another:

Children’s attitudes about themselves and others may be distorted due to a lack of brain maturity when they are formed. Unfortunately these attitudes can be self-sustaining. They create expectations, which lead to self-fulfilling prophecies. For example, children who have had bad early experiences with math because of lack of brain development may create self-images that lead them to avoid or give up on math courses even if their brains are now capable of handling this material.

“I can’t” is built into childhood. And growing up demands changing can’t into can in many contexts. Parents and educators are familiar with this need. The theme is represented in the Thinkerer by the Canters. And it is not limited to children. Nor is brain development the only rate limiting factor.

In dealing with children who can’t, adults routinely bring in the power of Yet. “Maybe you can’t do that yet.” The limitation may be in brain development, lack of practice, or some combination. No matter. With time and practice, the child will probably master all the common skills of growing up.

Does the power of yet apply to adults? Only when they want it to. Only when they judge that the skill is worth the time and effort to get the skill. Only when they do not think of themselves as a finished product. Only as long as they can say of themselves, “I am not finished yet.”

“And a little child shall lead them.” Why did I think of that quote right here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home